frugal - sparing; not profuse, prodigal or lavish
simple - unadorned; plain

Friday, May 27, 2011

Welcome to my kitchen!

I decided to start a blog of my journey in creating simple, nutritious and fast meals for my family of 10. Yes, I really do have 8 children and they are 9 and under so getting healthy meals on the table in a timely fashion is a must. Plus, I really don't have unlimited amounts of time I can spend in the kitchen. So, join me as I travel this road of frugal and simple living!

I hope to share a couple recipes a week and then maybe down the road share both weekly and monthly menus that our family enjoys.

To start with, I'll share our favorite bread recipe.



Whole Wheat Bread

2 cups hot water (100-115 degrees Fahrenheit works well)
2 Tablespoons yeast
4 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups whole wheat flour (I grind my own HARD WHITE wheat)

Combine hot water, yeast and sugar. Mix well and let sit until foamy and doubled. Add olive oil and salt; mix well. Slowly add flour and mix until you have added all the flour. Dump onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 to 10 minutes; adding small amounts of flour if needed. You don't want it to be really sticky but you also don't want it to be stiff. Once you have kneaded it for 5-10 minutes let it sit and raise until doubled. I just leave it on the table to raise. Once it has doubled, punch it down and knead it for a minute to let out most of the air bubbles. Divide the dough in two and form loaves. Place loaves into 2 lightly buttered bread pans and let raise again until the tops rise 1" above the top of the bread pans. Bake at 350 F for 26 minutes. Let cool a couple minutes before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment